by the Marathon Map Makers Guild
It was a time of peace and prosperity for mankind, when the space pirates of El Diablo began the raids of 2270. Laying ruin to space resorts, destroying outposts, capturing starships and viciously attacking entire planets, the pirates showed no mercy. Earth's high-tech defense force, the Marines, were decimated by the onslaught of these alien warriors. The forces of the pirates seemed unstoppable, and mankind's very survival hung in the balance. At the helm of El Diablo were the fiercest of the alien forces. Adorned in blue garments and wicked by nature, these pirate leaders were soon given the nickname of Devil in a Blue Dress.
Then stepped in one brave marine to challenge the pirates. Turning back the resort attackers and the outpost destruction squads was only the beginning. Going on the offensive, routing the alien crew of the Diablo, and moving on to the stronghold on the pirate home world climaxed with the defeat of the head pirates themselves. Rescuing resorts and outposts, winning battles against unthinkable odds, solving mind boggling puzzles, and conquering the pirate home world, one brave marine managed to save the galaxy from a most horrible demise and end the reign of the Devil in a Blue Dress. For a time, it seemed that this bloody interruption of human civilization had come to a close.
But wait! What's this? Discovered on the pirate home world during the cleanup mission are artifacts of unknown origin, strange devices and eerie potions that leave many questions unanswered. No one seemed to understand what these discoveries meant ... no one except the artificial intelligence known as Merlin. As Merlin unravels the mysteries and reveals surprising information about his own existence, our brave marine begins to realize that the real battle has not yet begun.
From the bowels of evil rises the most powerful foe to challenge you yet: the
cunningly malevolent sorceress Morgana. Rising to power during the period of Camelot,
she discovers a means to travel through time. Luring the darkness out of most creatures
she encounters, she begins to build empires on her trek through time. Morgana has
a diabolical plan and you now must stop her.
You will begin your journey in the sickbay of the starship called Kronos, an advanced exploration craft conducting experimentation with new time travel technology. Once reunited with Merlin, you will learn more about the adventures to follow, and the forces which you must overcome.
Welcome to Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge!
* ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- * ----- *
In Morgana's Revenge, you can expect the unexpected!
Note from Excalibur coordinator:
This scenario is the result of tremendous hard work of over 40 members of the Marathon Map Makers Guild. There has been quite a collection of individual creative talent contributing to this project, and as the project coordinator, I cannot overstate what a wild, impressive, and creatively exciting experience this has been. After our first project, Devil in a Blue Dress, we became a bit more ambitious. In Morgana's Revenge, we attempted to replace every aspect of the original Marathon that we possibly could. You'll experience all new textures, new sounds, a completely revamped set of physics with new weapons; you'll see all new graphics for the weapons, monsters, player sprites, scenery items, and anything else which we found within our reach to change. We're providing you with an awesome new suite of musical scores capturing the atmosphere of each of the time periods, including Morgana's own special theme (drastically enhance your experience by using QuickTime 2.5 or later).
Of course, we are also delivering to you an entirely new and exciting storyline, with architectually stunning new maps to draw you into the game. As an added bonus, Morgana's Revenge will also include a large collection of netmaps. All in all, there are 50 maps included in this scenario!
We started this project in November of 1995. Had we known it would take us this long, we probably would not have done it, but as time dragged on, and as our ambitions grew with the project, we all knew that we had to complete it, no matter what the cost. Many of us lost countless hours of sleep rendering hundreds of frames for the shapes animations, re-rendering, and re-rendering; others continued to crank out maps, music, chapter screens, hours of testing, re-testing, editing, testing, more editing, more testing. I have to admit, though, testing the netmaps, even though it kept me up till all hours of the morning and often messed me up for work the next day, was one of the funnest aspects of the project. Besides providing an intense new reality to explore, and loads of fun hacking at my buddies with Excalibur (or being hacked), it brought life to the vision we had over a year ago.
I hope you all enjoy it as much as we have. For you late night net festers, don't forget to keep a good supply of M&Ms and soda! (and forget about being productive the day after)
PS: Don't forget to check out the MMMG T-shirts for Excalibur.
6/21/97, version 1.4.1
- installer brings application up to latest Marathon (no longer requires serial number)
6/18/97, version 1.4
- fixed bugs in Roof Rats
- removed SPAMs and recharger from Roof Rats
- removed Winged Beasts from net maps
- changed Food Fight to be like author originally intended
- increased ammo placement in net levels
- now includes the 16bit knight resource with package
- made Whips and Scorns easier
- includes preview of Morgana T-shirt
5/23/97, version 1.3.2
- fixed platform in Castle of Sorrows to be No External Activate (to prevent trap situation)
- fixed some minor errors in Credits
4/4/97, version 1.3.1
- fixed Seige Perilous so that you don't get trapped in the river bed
4/2/97, version 1.3
- fixed installer so that it doesn't quit when trying to delete a resource which is not present
- fixed Castle of Sorrows so that you don't get stuck outside castle if teleported out from final pod
- fixed Love of Mother so that you don't get stuck if you didn't kill minor knights (removed them)
3/29/97, version 1.2
- fixed some more textures
- tweaked physics on Future Bob
- changed attacks for Veteran GATs and Hover Troopers
- fixed trap bug in Seige Perilous
3/27/97, version 1.1
- fixed crash bugs in Down Under and HQ Storm
- fixed trap bug in Castle of Sorrows
- fixed some spelling errors in the terms
- fixed some minor texture errors
- improved graphics for Snyper weapon in hand
- improved graphics for HUD radar
- fixed films
- changed music for one jurassic level
3/20/97, version 1.0
- first public release